Want a healthier and brighter smile? According to the American Dental Association, dental implants have come a long way in the last 40 years. One of the dental implant's most important uses is replacing missing teeth. If you're interested, Dr. Christopher McFarland can help at his office in Tucson, AZ.
Dental implants consist of a titanium post that is surgically inserted into your jaws to replace your missing tooth root. It creates stability, strength and prevents the weakening and shrinkage of your jawbone. The dentist then seals your gums and allows 3 to 6 months for osseointegration to occur.
Afterwards, the patient needs to come back to their dentist's office in Tucson so that they can re-open the area above the titanium post, insert a screw, place an abutment above the screw, and secure a crown on top that matches the other teeth.
Advantages of dental implants
Not having to worry about gaps in your teeth is definitely an advantage, but here are some more advantages that dental implants provide:
- A dental implant can restore one tooth, a few teeth, or all of your teeth.
- They can restore bite and chewing function.
- Unlike dentures, dental implants are fixed in place and don't fall out of place.
- The dental implants can last a lifetime.
Taking care of your dental implants
Establishing a healthy oral hygiene. Here are a few things to do:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day using a proper brush (non-frayed bristles)
- Floss at least once every day before going to bed.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and avoid sugary foods
- Drink plenty of water to wash away food debris
- Use fluoride-containing products, like toothpaste and mouthwash
If you have more questions or concerns about dental implants, call your dentist, Dr. McFarland, in Tucson, AZ, at (520) 298-4270. Dental implants can last a lifetime and are a great investment.